Keep me company as I travel thru my journey facing breast cancer again.

Why would anyone want to read about someone else's problem when you have plenty of your own? Maybe one day a loved one, a friend, or you will be diagnosed with breast cancer. My blog might offer insite into cancer resources, thoughts, questions to ask, or guidance in helping you deal with this disease. These are my experiences and suggestions. Every breast cancer is different. If you are touched by breast cancer, be sure to consult your Dr. for direction in treatment.

I equate my blog to the emergency evacuation instruction the flight attendants do before you take off on an airplane. Nobody pays attention to them but when your plane is about to crash you think, "sh*t, why didn't I pay more attention to them? Which color cord do I pull first again?" We have so many things going on in our lives that one more thing to dwell on that doesn't apply to us right now may not be important but when it does, we wish we would have paid attention.

My blog is something you might read a couple times or maybe follow. Hopefully you gain some knowledge about breast cancer, in particular, Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC). It is the 2nd most common type of invasive breast cancer however it only accounts for approx. 10% of all invasive breast cancers. It is the silent breast cancer. It is generally not detected with a mammo but rather an ultrasound. Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC) is what I have been diagnosed with. My suggestion to every woman who is of mammo age insist on an ultrasound with your mammos.
UPDATE 3/2011
I have had my bilaterial mastectomy and I am recovering. ILC is a sneaky cancer as I said above. My various Dr.'s here and at UCSF confirmed the size of my tumor should be between 2.5cm-3.5cm with possibilty but not most likely, 7cm. After my surgery, my tumor was confirmed to be 11cm. My Dr.'s are very knowledgeable and are on top of things. This is simply the truth about ILC. I had mammos every 6 months, ultra sounds, and MRI's. With all of these, it was not picked up until 1/2011. The good news, if you can call it that, only 1 sentinel node out of 2 has micromastic findings and 5 aux. nodes were negative.

Be sure to start my adventure from the blog history on the right. I have tried to bold points to make it easier to extract the important information. If there is anything you get out of this blog, refer to my Dr.'s listed below if you know someone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer in the East Bay. These Dr.'s; Dr. Gottlieb, Dr. Wotowic, and Dr. Sherman are my 3 musketeers....all for 1 and 1 for all!

January 30, 2011

My local hospital vs UCSF or Stanford, which is best? It depends.

I began getting more results back from the tests suggested by Dr. Gottlieb. I had an HD MRI. This apparently was cutting edge technology that my local community hospital had. Who knew there were different types of MRI's and who knew my local hospital had this? Apparently this one was the newest and greatest, again a positive in a negative situation. My results showed the ILC was centralized in the specific area and my lymph nodes appeared clear. Good news at this point. My next test was the results of my BRACA genetic test. See below for a link that explains what exactly this is. If it comes back positive, more decisions lay ahead of me. If negative, some reassurance of a clear cancer free future.
Getting back to my local hospital and the level of treatment.
I asked my Dr. will I get the best possible treatment here or should I get a 2nd opinion at UCSF or Standford? His response right off, whatever makes you more comfortable with your treatment decisions is what is important.
Something to ponder, after listening to him and asking around is where will you get a better level of care? At this stage of my breast cancer, my local community hospital and the treatment I have received has been great. The Dr.'s have all worked great with one another. My situation has been brought before a tumor board which is made up of Dr.'s and nurses who review my history and test results. As a group they discuss and make recommendations as to what the best treatment options are. It is reassuring to know I am not just relying on one person but rather multiple experts who's specialties range from oncology, to the breast center head nurse, to other cancer Dr.'s. The tumor board who reviewed my latest findings was made up of 25 people from San Ramon Regional and John Muir. 
My conclusion after asking many questions is that I feel my local hospital is well prepared to help me with my situation, at this point. The Dr.'s and staff deal with my level of cancer day in/day out. They know what to do. They refer to clinical trials that have come from UCSF or Stanford. It is when your cancer reaches a higher level, that I would move onto UCSF or Standford for treatment. Also my Dr. has mentioned this might be a better way of treatment as well if my cancer were more complex. These institutions deal with these specialty high level cancers more then my local hospital. Also a major consideration at this point in my treatment is the ease of being close by. One breast cancer survivor I spoke with, said that is major factor to consider.  She's right. Will this stop me from getting a 2nd opinion? No. I will be sending my files to a Dr. we have been referred to for my 2nd opinion. Peace of mind.



3 comments:

  1. Where did you go or who did you see for 2nd opinion? Living in San Ramon...Doctor at John Muir gave me diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met with Dr Benz but I also spoke with other Dr.'s in the breast cancer unit. You can go to their website to schedule an appointment.
    Seeking a second opinion is always good however what was suggested to me at UCSF was not the path I chose. UCSF was not as conservative on their recommendation and I chose to be more conservative. I'm almost 5 years out and I'm doing great. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete