Keep me company as I travel thru my journey facing breast cancer again.

Why would anyone want to read about someone else's problem when you have plenty of your own? Maybe one day a loved one, a friend, or you will be diagnosed with breast cancer. My blog might offer insite into cancer resources, thoughts, questions to ask, or guidance in helping you deal with this disease. These are my experiences and suggestions. Every breast cancer is different. If you are touched by breast cancer, be sure to consult your Dr. for direction in treatment.

I equate my blog to the emergency evacuation instruction the flight attendants do before you take off on an airplane. Nobody pays attention to them but when your plane is about to crash you think, "sh*t, why didn't I pay more attention to them? Which color cord do I pull first again?" We have so many things going on in our lives that one more thing to dwell on that doesn't apply to us right now may not be important but when it does, we wish we would have paid attention.

My blog is something you might read a couple times or maybe follow. Hopefully you gain some knowledge about breast cancer, in particular, Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC). It is the 2nd most common type of invasive breast cancer however it only accounts for approx. 10% of all invasive breast cancers. It is the silent breast cancer. It is generally not detected with a mammo but rather an ultrasound. Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC) is what I have been diagnosed with. My suggestion to every woman who is of mammo age insist on an ultrasound with your mammos.
UPDATE 3/2011
I have had my bilaterial mastectomy and I am recovering. ILC is a sneaky cancer as I said above. My various Dr.'s here and at UCSF confirmed the size of my tumor should be between 2.5cm-3.5cm with possibilty but not most likely, 7cm. After my surgery, my tumor was confirmed to be 11cm. My Dr.'s are very knowledgeable and are on top of things. This is simply the truth about ILC. I had mammos every 6 months, ultra sounds, and MRI's. With all of these, it was not picked up until 1/2011. The good news, if you can call it that, only 1 sentinel node out of 2 has micromastic findings and 5 aux. nodes were negative.

Be sure to start my adventure from the blog history on the right. I have tried to bold points to make it easier to extract the important information. If there is anything you get out of this blog, refer to my Dr.'s listed below if you know someone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer in the East Bay. These Dr.'s; Dr. Gottlieb, Dr. Wotowic, and Dr. Sherman are my 3 musketeers....all for 1 and 1 for all!

January 28, 2011

Procrastination-for once it was a good thing

I spent the next 3 years living my life, watching the kids grow, and doing what every other mom does. I went in for my 6 month check ups. There were areas they were watching but no changes. On my scheduled last check up, Sue at Dr. Gottlieb's office keep calling me to remind me, it's time for your appointment. She was persistent in calling me. I am very grateful she was. I procrastinated but finally scheduled it for January 3, 2011, 9 months past my last check up. I went thru the usual, mammogram and then the ultrasound. As I was laying on the ultrasound table watching from the side, the ultrasound person seemed to zero in on an area on my left breast. Once she started mapping the coordinates, I knew right then, something was there. The radiologist on duty reviewed my images and mentioned, a biopsy might be needed in this questionable area.
After having had 3 other biopsy's performed I considered myself a semi pro. There are different types of biopsies. I had a core needle biopsy. This is where a needle that is hollow is inserted into the questionable area.  Within this hollow needle there is another needle that comes out and takes a sample of the tissue. First biopsy I had the inside needle shoot out with air compression into the area. This type of biopsy is my least favorite. The other type of biopsy I have had is a similar concept like a hollow needle but the sample is drawn by having the inside needle come out and twist like a cork screw to gather the sample. It is less traumatic to the body. This my preferred way to biopsy. This is also a newer way of getting a biopsy. Sometimes a mammo is done right after to confirm the placement of of your marker clip. The clips are markers that the Dr. uses to watch and compare year after year. Make sure clips are used after any biopsy. This is your marker of an area of concern. 
After one of my biopsy's a mammo was performed.  The compression from the mammo machine that came down on my breast casued the wound to gush blood from the biopsy area. I looked down and for the first time in my life, I felt a sudden warmth come over me and literally the room started to slowly start spinning. Part of me thought, "Oh God, I'm going to pass out and the only thing that's going to hold me upright is my breast compressed in this mammogram machine" This is a problem. I was able to say as calmly as I could, "I am going to pass out. I need help." The gal moved in hyper speed, releasing my breast from the compression and hitting the help button. Make sure someone comes with you to your biopsy. Don't feel like your inconveniencing someone because it is just nice to know you have a backup in case you have a similar situation. From there on out Frank now comes with me.

Additional information 2/8/2011: It has been brought to my attention that there is a screening procedure that uses breast thermography. I am not familiar with this but I will be asking my Dr. about this. The idea is that metabolic activity and vascular circulation in both pre-cancerous tissue and the area surrounding a developing breast cancer is almost always higher in temperature than in normal breast tissue. The thermography uses ultra-sensitive medical infrared cameras and sophisticated computers to detect, analyze, and produce high-resolution images of these temperature variations. Because of the extreme sensitivity, these temperature variations may be among the earliest signs of breast cancer and/or a pre-cancerous state of the breast. Again, it is something to use in the screening for breast cancer along with a secondary type of screening. Ask your Dr about this. No harm in asking, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment