Keep me company as I travel thru my journey facing breast cancer again.

Why would anyone want to read about someone else's problem when you have plenty of your own? Maybe one day a loved one, a friend, or you will be diagnosed with breast cancer. My blog might offer insite into cancer resources, thoughts, questions to ask, or guidance in helping you deal with this disease. These are my experiences and suggestions. Every breast cancer is different. If you are touched by breast cancer, be sure to consult your Dr. for direction in treatment.

I equate my blog to the emergency evacuation instruction the flight attendants do before you take off on an airplane. Nobody pays attention to them but when your plane is about to crash you think, "sh*t, why didn't I pay more attention to them? Which color cord do I pull first again?" We have so many things going on in our lives that one more thing to dwell on that doesn't apply to us right now may not be important but when it does, we wish we would have paid attention.

My blog is something you might read a couple times or maybe follow. Hopefully you gain some knowledge about breast cancer, in particular, Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC). It is the 2nd most common type of invasive breast cancer however it only accounts for approx. 10% of all invasive breast cancers. It is the silent breast cancer. It is generally not detected with a mammo but rather an ultrasound. Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC) is what I have been diagnosed with. My suggestion to every woman who is of mammo age insist on an ultrasound with your mammos.
UPDATE 3/2011
I have had my bilaterial mastectomy and I am recovering. ILC is a sneaky cancer as I said above. My various Dr.'s here and at UCSF confirmed the size of my tumor should be between 2.5cm-3.5cm with possibilty but not most likely, 7cm. After my surgery, my tumor was confirmed to be 11cm. My Dr.'s are very knowledgeable and are on top of things. This is simply the truth about ILC. I had mammos every 6 months, ultra sounds, and MRI's. With all of these, it was not picked up until 1/2011. The good news, if you can call it that, only 1 sentinel node out of 2 has micromastic findings and 5 aux. nodes were negative.

Be sure to start my adventure from the blog history on the right. I have tried to bold points to make it easier to extract the important information. If there is anything you get out of this blog, refer to my Dr.'s listed below if you know someone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer in the East Bay. These Dr.'s; Dr. Gottlieb, Dr. Wotowic, and Dr. Sherman are my 3 musketeers....all for 1 and 1 for all!

March 29, 2011

How fortunate we are to have access to the medical resources we have

During this whole process it has been very educational about what the medical community is able to determine. What is most impressive is how rapidly tests for additional information are being developed. I have had tests that determine if I carry a genetic gene of cancer. Mine was negative. This test would have played an important part in my children's lives if positive. Ive had tests that can determine how fast the cancer cells grow. Mine are grade 1, slow growing. Ive had tests to determine if my cancer will respond to hormone treatments to help kill or lessen the cancer cells ability to grow. My cells are hormone responsive. I've had tests to determine if there were cancer cells in my blood stream. Mine were negative. I've had tests that can determine the size of my tumor and lymph node involvement. This one was not quite as accurate since it missed the size of my tumor and lymph node involvement. I've had tests that determine which of my lymph nodes was the primary filter of the toxins near my tumor which allowed the Dr.'s to take less lymph nodes then in prior years. This has allowed me to have less of a stress on my body since the lymph nodes are your gate keepers of allowing toxins into your body. With these lymph nodes, the Dr.'s can determine thru various tests cancer cell involvement that are so tiny they can only be picked up through a special dye. They can also tell with the involved lymph node (about the size of a grain of rice) where the cancer cells are inside it. There is a "front door" where you come in and a " back door" where you exit. The Dr.s can determine if the cells are near the front door, in your familyrm or heading out the back door. Mine were near the front door and in the center of my lymph node but not near my back door. I'm waiting for a test that will tell me from my cancer cells the chance of cancer reoccurring in my body elsewhere. This test is typically used for node negative people but I have insisted on this test. Why do some Dr.'s not request this when the node is positive? Because your going to have chemotherapy so the outcome of this test is a non issue. This is the side of medicine that decisions are based on facts, the cold harsh, black/white of making medical decisions. For me this test will help reassure me if my score is low, my long term survival will be greater with or without additional treatment. If my score is higher, it is a reassurance I need to fight this beast with everything the medical world has to offer. This is the emotional side to medicine which has been proven to have a huge effect on people's outcomes. I am awaiting another test that can determine if there are cancer hotspots in my body now. More then likely not since the cells in my body had not reached the back door of the lymph node But because breast cancer has some correlation with your reproductive area, this could be another area of concern for me.
The way I look at all these tests all within the past ten years has brought cancer treatment and survival rates that much higher. What we need to remember is there are treatments that are ongoing right now that are concluding after 5 or 10 years that can influence me going forward, that this information wasn't available at the beginning of these women's fight that I am now able to benefit from. And the same will be said for me, ten years from now if I have a reoccurrence, the medical world will have advanced and will be able to help me deal with this. Truly incredible. For anyone involved in research, I am truly thankful for what you have done. Their research is allowing people to live longer after being diagnosed with cancer either cancer free or allowing people to keep the beast under control. These people are allowing me to meet my long terms goals I tell myself every morning and night. Celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary and to hold every one of my newborn grandchildren. My odds are very good if not excellent because of their research.

So, my tubes are out! Did it hurt? Not really. The first one was out as quickly as I realized it was being taken out. The 2Nd one had the split second of here we go...but then it was out quickly. I'm still taking it easy since I don't want to risk any swelling. I finally will be able to take a shower without a plastic bag. Wash my pits since I am smelling very ripe. I'm looking like my cousin counterparts in Europe...haven't shaved since the 9th and it's the 29th. Can't say I remember ever going that long without shaving. I've moved into my bed but move back into my chair about 3am. I get my first in office fill of my expanded thursday. Meet with the chemotherapy teacher Friday-yikes. I can drive starting tonight-freedom! I will finally be able to go see Alex run and Grant swim at the high school. As for my oncologist, doing some research to determine if we stay. You know me and my research! Things are good and I'm happy. A positive in a negative...Mr. ComCast guy I am forever grateful for your positive look on a negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment