Keep me company as I travel thru my journey facing breast cancer again.

Why would anyone want to read about someone else's problem when you have plenty of your own? Maybe one day a loved one, a friend, or you will be diagnosed with breast cancer. My blog might offer insite into cancer resources, thoughts, questions to ask, or guidance in helping you deal with this disease. These are my experiences and suggestions. Every breast cancer is different. If you are touched by breast cancer, be sure to consult your Dr. for direction in treatment.

I equate my blog to the emergency evacuation instruction the flight attendants do before you take off on an airplane. Nobody pays attention to them but when your plane is about to crash you think, "sh*t, why didn't I pay more attention to them? Which color cord do I pull first again?" We have so many things going on in our lives that one more thing to dwell on that doesn't apply to us right now may not be important but when it does, we wish we would have paid attention.

My blog is something you might read a couple times or maybe follow. Hopefully you gain some knowledge about breast cancer, in particular, Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC). It is the 2nd most common type of invasive breast cancer however it only accounts for approx. 10% of all invasive breast cancers. It is the silent breast cancer. It is generally not detected with a mammo but rather an ultrasound. Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC) is what I have been diagnosed with. My suggestion to every woman who is of mammo age insist on an ultrasound with your mammos.
UPDATE 3/2011
I have had my bilaterial mastectomy and I am recovering. ILC is a sneaky cancer as I said above. My various Dr.'s here and at UCSF confirmed the size of my tumor should be between 2.5cm-3.5cm with possibilty but not most likely, 7cm. After my surgery, my tumor was confirmed to be 11cm. My Dr.'s are very knowledgeable and are on top of things. This is simply the truth about ILC. I had mammos every 6 months, ultra sounds, and MRI's. With all of these, it was not picked up until 1/2011. The good news, if you can call it that, only 1 sentinel node out of 2 has micromastic findings and 5 aux. nodes were negative.

Be sure to start my adventure from the blog history on the right. I have tried to bold points to make it easier to extract the important information. If there is anything you get out of this blog, refer to my Dr.'s listed below if you know someone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer in the East Bay. These Dr.'s; Dr. Gottlieb, Dr. Wotowic, and Dr. Sherman are my 3 musketeers....all for 1 and 1 for all!

August 5, 2011

one more chemo...one more chemo...


One more chemo. That's all I tell myself. When I get aches and pains, or I get
aches in my stomach or pelvis area, or the hot flashes, I remind myself the worst of it is behind me. I have one more chemo, radiation (28 days/m-f), exchange surgery from expanders to saline implant, exchange surgery from saline to silicone, nipple reconstruction surgery, and finally the tattooing of the aereola. At least I think that's the order. If all goes right maybe I'll be done in Dec.

I do finally feel the cumulative side effects of all the chemos. I am weaker. I
have a fatigue that won't go away. I'm grouchy more because I snap at Frank. We never fight except when he drives ( he drives like a madman but as he points out, he hasn't been in any accidents- Nevermind the trail of destruction behind him) 

I know I am getting physically weaker because I feel it at my Pilates class.
During the first regime I could feel my strength improving. The regime caused
nausea and overall yucky feeling for the few days after but then I was done.
This regime lingers with fatigue. Things I was able to do in class a month a go
are a struggle to do and I haven't missed a class, well I've rearranged them
sometimes when I haven't felt well enough to go.The AC regime I found myself hungry or craving things when the nausea would pass. This regime has shut off my desire to eat. I have to force myself to eat. Nothing at times seems appealing and it's not because of nausea. I just don't feel like eating. So when I don't eat, I get sick. Crazy cycle.

You would think if I was fatigued I'd be sleeping all the time but I'm not. I
just don't feel like doing anything but laying down. The afternoons are the
worst. If I do a big adventure in the morning I am physically feeling sick in the late afternoon.  Trying to keep up with the hydration also since I forget to keep drinking water. So I need to plan my days and get as much as I can get  done in the mornings since I know I will be feeling not so great in the afternoon.

My hair is very slowly coming back but it's not really hair. It's fuzz here and
there. I have started to lose my eyebrows and eyelashes-go figure! I seem to
have a half brow on my right side and a very sparse brow on the left. My eye
lashes have thinned out also. I can tell when I put on mascara. I am calling the plastic surgeon to get started on Latisse. It makes your eyelashes longer and thick. It is used for chemo patients as well but it is not covered by insurance. It is thought of as a cosmetic procedure. 

Funniest thing! We went as a family hot airballooning-up at 4:00am....talk about not feeling good in the afternoon, I was a zombie by noon. Part of the package they do is take pics of you in the balloon as it lifts off. Well we had to share the basket with a family from  England. So as we were lifting off the photographer is snapping away and I was thinking he was taking pics of just our family so I whipped my hat off figuring what the hell maybe we will use this as our Xmas card. Well once we viewed the pics it included the other family. Imagine their surprise seeing all of us complete with the bald lady.  Classic submission to Awkward Family Pictures! don't think they purchased that photo as a memory Keeper.

So, one more chemo...one more chemo....

No comments:

Post a Comment