Keep me company as I travel thru my journey facing breast cancer again.

Why would anyone want to read about someone else's problem when you have plenty of your own? Maybe one day a loved one, a friend, or you will be diagnosed with breast cancer. My blog might offer insite into cancer resources, thoughts, questions to ask, or guidance in helping you deal with this disease. These are my experiences and suggestions. Every breast cancer is different. If you are touched by breast cancer, be sure to consult your Dr. for direction in treatment.

I equate my blog to the emergency evacuation instruction the flight attendants do before you take off on an airplane. Nobody pays attention to them but when your plane is about to crash you think, "sh*t, why didn't I pay more attention to them? Which color cord do I pull first again?" We have so many things going on in our lives that one more thing to dwell on that doesn't apply to us right now may not be important but when it does, we wish we would have paid attention.

My blog is something you might read a couple times or maybe follow. Hopefully you gain some knowledge about breast cancer, in particular, Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC). It is the 2nd most common type of invasive breast cancer however it only accounts for approx. 10% of all invasive breast cancers. It is the silent breast cancer. It is generally not detected with a mammo but rather an ultrasound. Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC) is what I have been diagnosed with. My suggestion to every woman who is of mammo age insist on an ultrasound with your mammos.
UPDATE 3/2011
I have had my bilaterial mastectomy and I am recovering. ILC is a sneaky cancer as I said above. My various Dr.'s here and at UCSF confirmed the size of my tumor should be between 2.5cm-3.5cm with possibilty but not most likely, 7cm. After my surgery, my tumor was confirmed to be 11cm. My Dr.'s are very knowledgeable and are on top of things. This is simply the truth about ILC. I had mammos every 6 months, ultra sounds, and MRI's. With all of these, it was not picked up until 1/2011. The good news, if you can call it that, only 1 sentinel node out of 2 has micromastic findings and 5 aux. nodes were negative.

Be sure to start my adventure from the blog history on the right. I have tried to bold points to make it easier to extract the important information. If there is anything you get out of this blog, refer to my Dr.'s listed below if you know someone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer in the East Bay. These Dr.'s; Dr. Gottlieb, Dr. Wotowic, and Dr. Sherman are my 3 musketeers....all for 1 and 1 for all!

July 17, 2011

Taxol #2, You are so much more friendlier on our 2nd date!

Hmmm, where did I leave off? Hysterectomy, fibroids, ovaries? I received a call confirming that I had fibroids in my uterus. Something that many women have but never know since they really don't do anything unless they grow. When they grow is when there are concerns. Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding during your period. They can also cause severe cramping. So lucky me, during this journey I have developed fibroids. F*ck! One more thing...add it to my gall stones.  My OBGYN suggested I get a hysterectomy and while at it, remove my ovaries too.
Well you know me, research, research, research. There are 2 options: a hysterectomy and removal of the fibroids, called myomectomy. The removal of the uterus, a hysterectomy,  I can do and seems as if there are little side effects other then the surgery itself. Then again, the surgery is minimally invasive unlike years before. Please see my link above for more info. There are a few different ways your uterus can be removed. I keep envisioning the small doorway and the piece of furniture that's too big and can't fit through, you just keep banging it against the frame....how do they remove your uterus if they don't slice you open? It is done using a procedure called laparoscopy .  Anyway...check the links for more info. This is a topic I will cover at a later time because there is a much greater decision involved, removal of the ovaries and reduction of estrogen. Isn't that what we want? Yes, but it may come at a cost to me later in life, heart issues, bone loss, increased chance of demenia all because of the abrupt removal of estrogen from my body.

I spoke with Dr. Gottlieb (my breast cancer Dr.) about all this. He had mentioned months ago there was a possibility that I could make the decision to remove my ovaries. The whole purpose is to reduce the estrogen in my body since the breast cancer cells feed off of the estrogen. He said this is something for me to consider but right now I needed to get through chemo, then radiation. At the end of that is when I should consider the procedure. Just a reminder...I still have my reconstruction surgery ahead of me too. So, this is not a decision I'm going to worry myself with right now. There really is nothing we can now since I'm in the middle of chemo. I need to be consistent with the treatments to provide the best benefit for me.
So, what was causing this intense abdominal/unterian pain during my first Taxol? This is the speculation from my oncologist. First off, I was the 1st patient of his that ever had these type of side effects I explained to him-lucky me. What he suspects is that my body may have been about to start my menstrual cycle. I have not had a period for years since I had an abalation of my uterus a few years ago to lessen my heavy periods. Once I had this procedure, I really had no period and could never tell if I had one. Anyway, the Dr. thinks my body was going through the actions of having a period when the Taxol was administered. Taxol can cause muscle ache and since my uterus is a large muscle and was "trying" to create my period, the Taxol zeroed in on my uterus, causing the labor like pains I felt all weekend. One week after the infusion, I did have menstrual spotting for a couple hours and then I was done. This was the first time in years I had any indication of a period. So is the Dr. right? I don't know but I am on my 2nd infusion and I have no uterine pain.

So. here we are, my 2nd infusion of Taxol. Can I say, what a difference! I am functioning. I received my infusion Thursday am. Thursday afternoon I tend to nap since I have the Benadryl in me still. Thursday night I spent awake I think because of the steroids. Felt pretty good all day Friday, even had friends over on Friday night. A few aches and pains but that was it. No nausea, thank goodness. I have been continuing the Clariten D for the Neulesta shot ( which I now receive on Thursday). I take Advil for the muscle cramping. I still take the Ativan to help with any nausea that might be hiding and to help keep me relaxed. I also continue to take the vitamins, L-Glutamine, and all the other stuff. Taxol is very tolerable. Much better then the AC. It is Sunday morning and I have a lot of aches and pains, mainly in my pelvis. I spent a restless night with hot flashes and some aches. I have a headache that comes and goes but overall it is tolerable. I don't feel like heading out to any parties and spending the time shopping with my daughter (college dorm shopping is right around the corner) but I'm good. I just want to stay close to home in case I want to lay down. Here's the scary thing, the next infusion I might have the same side effects as my first infusion. Crossing my fingers I don't because that was awful. Seems my hair is growing also! Very slowly but growing. So doing Ok.

So many things have been happening in our community with friends or acquaintances that are being diagnosed with cancer. I read their CaringBridge that chronicles what their experience is. CaringBridge is similar to a blog but an easier set up. All the updates with everyone seem positive. We have someone who is fighting leukemia again for the 2nd time in a year. We have someone who is fighting stage 4 lung cancer and is trying to prolong his life with chemo and finally another person who had throat cancer that has spread to his lung and bone. He is the person who I mentioned has stopped all traditional medicine. He is following a certain diet, drinking a certain type of tea, exercising. I have to admit it is curiosity that I follow his journal.  He is due for a scan. I wonder if his actions are working. I admit I have started to "fall off" the healthy wagon. I rarely drink alcohol, maybe a glass every 3 weeks. There is no desire to. I have started to have dessert again. I'll eat one of my cookies but that's about it. Again no desire to eat sweet things. I don't drink milk anymore. I don't eat red meat at all. I eat chicken and fish, once in a while maybe some pork. I eat alot of almonds, beans, veggies, whole wheat pasta. I'm just trying to eat healthier...but then I ate healthy before. Exercise, 2X a week I do Pilates. I try to get out and walk briskly but I'm just not full of energy. I think about it though!
I can see the end of this part of my journey. 2 more infusions and then I'm done. I will start radiation within 2 weeks after chemo. Probably about 5 weeks of radiation, 5X's a week. I'll rest for a few weeks then have the transfer surgery, expanders out, implants in....but that might be delayed also. I may have the hysterectomy first then reconstruction. Who  knows.
I don't think of getting cancer again. I'm pretty sure that part of my life is over. Thinking positive is so important but I just know it will not revisit me. I'm looking forward to moving forward with life. There is so much to discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment